Five-division boxing champion says he tried and failed to make landmark superfight with favourite UFC champion
It would come as no surprise if Floyd Mayweather Jr, the five-division macrocosm champ who announced he was ceasing boxing after a unanimous-decision win over Andre Berto last year, is out of retirement for another eight-figure payday.
The undefeated Mayweather walked away last September as the worlds highest-paid athlete and boxings pound-for-pound best and numerous ringside beholders simply refuse to believe he will retire when his earning power is so high.
But it wont come against UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor.
Mayweather said he attempted to make a fight with the popular mixed martial art champion but the sides were unable to come to terms.
I tried to stir the fight happen between me and Conor McGregor, Mayweather told FightHype.com on Saturday. We wasnt able to clear the fight happen, it is important to move on.
He included: I experience honored to be the biggest appoint in MMA and in boxing and I dont even compete no more.
Rumblings of a potential showdown between Mayweather and McGregor had started before the Irishman stood his first loss in five years to Nate Diaz in a non-title engage in March, a smudge he avenged in last months rematch.
Read more: www.theguardian.com