Conor McGregor has said he is back on the UFC 200 card but there has been no confirmation from Dana White about the featherweights return
Conor McGregor has said he is back on the UFC 200 card but there has been no confirmation from the organisation on the Irish featherweights return.
The UFC president, Dana White, said last week McGregor had been pulled from his rematch with Nate Diaz on the 9 July card in Las Vegas after refusing to fly to the United States for a news conference and promotional work.
McGregor had at one point suggested he was retiring from the sport of mixed martial arts but later said the promotional work was distracting him from training.
The Dubliner, who surged through the featherweight ranks before knocking out champion Jos Aldo in 13 seconds in December, has become the UFCs hottest property with his outrageous trash-talking outside the cage and vicious skills inside it.
While there has been speculation Jon Jones could step into the main event at UFC 200 to fight for the light heavyweight title, the former champions laboured win over Ovince Saint Preux on Sunday may have prompted White to give his most bankable asset another chance.
Diaz has said he would only fight McGregor and that he would take a vacation rather than fight a replacement.
Happy to announce that I am BACK on UFC 200! McGregor said on his Twitter account, thanking White and the UFC chief executive, Lorenzo Fertitta, for getting this one done for the fans.
McGregor, who says he has made $400m for the organisation, has been training in Iceland for the fight with Diaz, who choked him into submission in a welterweight non-title bout in March.
Read more: www.theguardian.com